Although its former colonial masters in Britain have long since repealed most of their anti-homosexual laws, in Singapore they are still on the books. However, all reports seem to indicate that the government has taken more or less a live and let live policy, and the laws are not often enforced.
The result is a developing gay scene, although one which is still very discreet.
Gay and Lesbian Resources
- The old Singapore Boy site merged and was reborn as Trevvy, a "lifestyle & community" site.
- Utopia Asia
- Award-winning portal site containing extensive and up-to-date information and links for the GLBT traveler to Asia.
- This Singapore based site offers a large selection of personals, as well as travel information around Asia. Fridae is the founder and sponsor of several large gay events, such as the Nation Party.
- Women's Nite
- "Women's Nite provides a safe, neutral and alcohol-free space for lesbians and bisexual women in Singapore to gather and discuss the issues relevant to their lives."
- " Founded by a group of women aged between 18 to 42, from diverse backgrounds, economic status, nationalities and races, we aim to empower queer women with a two-prong approach; to encourage dialogues within our community through our sayoniforum and to educate by informing the public through our publishing site, sayonispeak."