This large Chinese temple is on Lebuh Muntri, around the corner from the Cheong Fatt Tze mansion. Formally called Thean Ho Keong or the Temple of the Heavenly Queen, the temple was founded sometime before 1866. The current building dates from 1895. It is dedicated to the goddess Mar Chor, the patron saint of seafarers. When the Hainanese first came to Penang in the late 19th century, many occupations were already being filled by other Chinese groups, so the men from Hainan became sailors and cooks.
The temple was a center for all immigrants from the island of Hainan, which is now a province in China. In celebration of its centenary in 1995 the temple was completely remodelled by craftsmen bought from China. A new front made entirely from elaborately carved stone was added.