The old Chinese Courthouse, now the Chinese History Museum
The Chinese History Museum is housed in one of the few buildings to be spared by the redevelopment of Kuching's waterfront. The structure was built in 1912 to serve as a courthouse for the Chinese community of Sarawak. The White Rajah Charles Brooke prefered that each community handle its own affairs, such as marriages, divorces and the division of property. Later the building became the offices of the Chinese Chamber of Commerce. The conversion to a museum came in 1993 as part of the waterfront redevelopment.
The exhibition was given a major facelift in 2010 and now features a short video introduction along with displays on the development of the Chinese community in Sarawak.
The museum is open daily from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm. Admission is free.