The old courthouse complex was originally built in 1874 to serve various administrative functions for the Sarawak state, including sittings of the state legislature up to 1973. The squat clock tower was added in 1883 and several other additions and alterations have been made over time. The complex consists of several buildings linked by covered colonnades. Each of the rooms has its own plaque describing when it was built and what it was used for.
Today the complex is designated the Sarawak Tourism Complex and houses an information center, several restaurants and some travel agencies.