Wat Luang is the main temple within the center of Pakse. It lies on the banks of the Se Don river just near the main bridge over the river and to the airport. The temple was established in 1935 and also serves as a Buddhist (sangha) colleges as well. The old building that houses the college is one of the more interesting in the temple compound. The carved plaster decorations are quite fanciful.
There are several funerary reliquaries lining the front of the compound. The largest of these houses the ashes of a former prime minister from pre-revolutionary times.